Although wounds and diseases associated with the front line absorbed much of the medical services’ time and resources, men continued to succumb to peace-time ailments such as appendicitis, and still had to be cared for by the authorities.
The Military Hospital in Endell Street, London was no ordinary hospital: it was staffed entirely by women. Founded in 1915 by two suffragettes, Dr Louisa Garrett Anderson and Dr Flora Murray, the hospital flourished throughout the war and only closed in December 1919 after its work came to an end. During these four years its staff proved what many had doubted – that women could manage the medical and administrative aspects of a hospital just as well as men.
Chalk drawing by Francis Dodd, 1917.
Resource Type : image35 visits / 0 Like(s) (Like this resource)