The Casualty Clearing Stations provided the first dedicated surgical facilities in the chain of evacuation, and were able to provide beds for men who could be expected to recover and return to their units within a few days. More serious cases were sent to hospitals in England or the Base Area. They were usually sited 5-10 miles behind the lines and close to canals or railway lines to facilitate mass onward transportation. Casualty Clearing Stations often worked in threes, one taking the sick, two working in relay taking the wounded. Such centres were the farthest forward that nurses operated, though still within range of enemy air raids.
From photograph album of 34 (1/1) West Lancashire Casualty Clearing Station. Photographs on this page taken at Marchelepot, March 1917.
Resource Type : image55 visits / 0 Like(s) (Like this resource)